|SPRINGBOK & PRUNE POTJIE - Serves 4 - Super Potjie|
|2 Springbok shanks|
250g dried prunes
250ml sweet sherry
4 cloves garlic
250g streaky bacon, cut into chunks
1 onion, chopped
4 parsnips, chopped
4 whole cloves
4 juniper berries
5ml ground allspice
2ml dried coriander leaves
2ml ground nutmeg
30g soft butter
30ml cake flour
- Heat the prunes in the sweet sherry and brandy then set aside to plump.
- Stud the meat with slivers of garlic and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a little oil in the super potjie, add the bacon and cook until all the fat has rendered.
- Add the meat and brown all over.
- Stir in the onion and parsnips, then add the cloves, juniper berries, allspice, coriander and nutmeg, and the liquid from the prunes.
- Cover and pot-roast the meat for about 4 hours.
- Add the prunes to the pot about 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time.